Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Chili-Vanilla Balsamic Creme

Everyone seems interested in the creme, so here's a "recipe" (I'm a cook-by-tasting person, so it's not going to be exact). I used about 1/4 cup of creme fraiche, and about 1/4 tsp each of crushed green and pink peppercorns. I did not have a vanilla pod handy, so I added some Madagascar vanilla extract, and some (like 3/4 tsp. maybe?) balsamic vinegar. Added salt, then more vanilla, tasting until it was not too sweet. The vanilla surprisingly offset the sweetness of the balsamic - probably because I used extract. I just kept adjusting the flavors salt, balsamic, and vanilla until I had something I liked. Then I added some spice by adding a bit of the chopped guajillo pepper I had soaked in the barley tea used for cooking the barley.

Barley tea is a Korean beverage - it comes in "tea" bags. I buy packages of them at the 99 Ranch Market. I'm kind of a barley tea addict!

No comments:

Post a Comment