Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Paper Chef 35


My entry this month is a "blood" orange risotto cake, with "drunken" Mexican white shrimp in a blood orange vinaigrette. It can be served warm or at room temperature. Unfortunately, I was unable to find real blood oranges (see Market Day below), so I made the vinaigrette with purchased blood orange vinegar and used plain naval oranges for the risotto cake (colored with a bit of red food color to simulate the real thing. The shrimp were marinated and baked in French brandy and Patron orange liqueur and a bit of salt and pepper. They were yummy. The risotto cake was made with orange juice, shrimp stock, orange zest, green onions, and shredded carrot, seasoned to taste. It was a bit sweet, since I used naval oranges instead of blood oranges, which would have been better. After peeling, I dipped the shrimp in the vinaigrette, and it was nice to spoon up a bit with the risotto as well, to help balance the sweetness.

3 comments:

  1. This looks very tastey and classy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm allergic to shrimp so I'm trying to imagine all these PC entries with chicken... I think I'd really like your risotto cakes - they sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How large is this portion? I do catering in San Francisco and tend to give larger portions, but this picture shows that it is very small. Is it???

    ReplyDelete